I fixed my dull headlights cheaply and easily on my Nissan GT-R.

My R35 GT-R was a “cheap” and cheerful entrance to supercar ownership for me, but it’s not been without fault. My R35 had 76,000 miles on it when I took delivery and it wore these with pride. Having come from German cars which are built and finished like Panzer tanks. The GT-R looks poor and cheaply made, certainly on the cosmetic side. Paint appears to be about as thick as a girls nail-varnish and any sort of stone impact removes paint quicker than you can blink. That being said I’ve very much enjoying improving this car piece by piece until I’m left with a clean “oem plus” package.

Glossy and clear headlights , much better.

My “cheap” GT-R has had a carbon-fibre lip, paint correction, some new shoes and an exhaust upgrade already. It was also serviced this week (social distancing adhered to). So slowly but surely the car is coming on leaps and bounds into what is a very appealing proposition. However the front end was no-longer let down by its battered plastic chin-spoiler. It’s misty and hazed headlights were now an eyesore. From the first picture you can see in the top corner how yellowed they became and to be honest they really started to piss me off. Even more so when the car has been detailed. I noticed them particularly last night and I scratched at them with a fingernail which seemed to “cut” through the haze. This made me curious , I had some compound leftover from making some carbon-fibre bits and I was keen to try it out.

The results of my first pass with the compound.

The lights aren’t perfect but they’re a far cry from how they were. I used nothing more than a damp micro-fibre cloth and the cutting-compound. I massaged this into the lights with moderate pressure in small circles then allowed to haze when dry. I came back a few minutes later with a clean cloth and buffed to a clear shine. I repeated this phase 2-3 times per unit until I was content the yellowed staining was removed. The lights obviously still have some age related marks from thousands of high-speed miles but they’re now the correct colour and don’t detract from the cars appearance.

The product I used is pictured above, it’s typically used for polishing carbon-fibre products. Repeat the process a few times and finish with a sealant (preferably UV resistant). It’s not an expensive job but it’s one that can improve your car overall. I’ve no idea whether this happens to all R35’s or just those based in the UK. But I hope this is of use to a few owners wherever they may be.

Published by Sam Busby

a big nosed bearded idiot who likes to write about cars. Lucky enough to have owned a few quick ones too.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: